It’s no surprise that my family loves cookies. All cookies are welcome in our house, but homemade cookies are definitely a favourite. But, with 4 little ones, I don’t exactly have a lot of time to bake homemade cookies. Which is why almost all my cookie recipes on my blog are pretty simple. These cake cookies are just that.
If you have never heard of cake cookies, you’re in for a treat. These soft cookies have a light and airy texture. Just like cake. Hence the name. You may also know them as cake mix cookies. I learned this recipe from my grandma, but cake cookies are a pretty well-known staple cookie recipe. Cake mix cookies are so well known because they are such a simple cookie recipe to make.
Cake cookies start off with 3 ingredients: cake mix, oil, and an egg. For these cake cookies, I used a simple white cake mix. But the flavour combinations for cake cookies are really endless. A bit of food colouring is a great add-in. Or try a 1/2 cup of candy mix-ins.
You May Also Like:
Cake Cookies Combination Ideas:
- Sprinkles for a birthday
- Coordinating food colouring for holidays (ie: red/green for Christmas, back and white for Halloween)
- crushed candy cane for Christmas
- cinnamon hearts for Valentines Day
- mini chocolate eggs for Easter
Tips For Making The Perfect Cake Mix Cookies:
- If using food colouring, use the gel colouring. Liquid food colouring can change the consistency of the dough.
- If using food colouring, so for a light coloured cake mix.
- Use a bit of flour on your hand to work the cookie dough, it can be sticky.
- These cookies don’t spread out much. They only need an inch of space.
- Keep the cookies in an airtight container in a cool dark cupboard. Use within 3 weeks.
Check out the printable recipe below and let me know if you’ll be giving this recipe a try in the comments below. If you already know and love this recipe, feel free to share your favourite cake mix cookie flavour combinations.
Check back regularly as I’ll be keeping this post updated with the different cake mix cookie combination flavours I try out.
You May Also Like:
For this recipe: You might need:
20 Minute Cake Cookies
- 1 box of cake mix
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of mix-ins or food colouring (optional)
How To Make Cake Cookies: