Every once in a while you will come across a recipe that’s so easy and delicious, it gets placed on the regular dinner recipe list. This is that recipe for us.
As a family of 6, it can be hard to find a recipe that pleases our entire crew and is this easy to put together. My mother-in-law gave me this recipe a couple years ago. This sweet and sour meatball recipe is so simple, and yet so packed with flavour. It’s one of the best meatball dishes I know of.
Most sweet and sour meatball recipes I’ve come across call for the basic meatball sauce of ketchup and jelly. For this one, you’re going to use chilli sauce instead of ketchup. It gives the sauce a nice deep smoky flavour. I add onions and rosemary to help intensify the sweet and earthy tones of the sauce. The onion & rosemary are completely optional. I only add it in when I make this dish at home. When I make it for a meal outside of the home (like a potluck), I just use the meatballs, grape jelly, and chilli sauce.
3-Ingredient Sweet and Sour Meatball Tips:
- You can use fresh or frozen meatballs for this. I’ve used chicken meatballs, just to make it a healthier chicken recipe option. I use my 3-ingredient meatloaf recipe if I want to use fresh meatballs. I just simply substitute ground chicken for the beef.
- If I’m in a rush (because life with 4 kids gets busy), I use frozen meatballs.
- You can bake these, or use your crockpot. If you’re going to use your crockpot simply throw everything in on low for 4 hours. I’ll include that option in the printable recipe below.
- Serve the cooked meatballs and sauce over some rice and veggies for a quick weeknight dinner idea or simply serve them by themselves for a great potluck recipe.
For This Recipe You Might Need:
3-Ingredient Sweet and Sour Meatball Recipe:
- Fresh, or frozen meatballs
- 1 cup of grape jelly
- 1 cup of chili sauce
- 1 medium onion – chopped (optional)
- 2 TSP of rosemary (optional)
How To Make It:
Top with rosemary, if you want, and enjoy!
More Easy Dinner Ideas:
Check out the free printable for this simple meatball recipe below! Or Pin it for later:
You may also like: